Does the child need to know this for the AQE or GL Test?
For every check on what could be tested, your first port of call should always be the test specification and in the AQE specification (under the Operations and their Applications), it states “Engage in a range of activities to develop understanding of the four operations of number and their interrelationships; Questions will not be set on appreciation of the use of brackets”.
Therefore, kids DO need to know to do the multiply / division first and then do the plus / minus afterwards, so this question is really just exploring the maths basics.
What is BIDMAS / BODMAS?
Invariably, when these questions are shared on social media, people sometimes comment with this acronym (BODMAS or BIDMAS). As cryptic as that may sound, it’s basically an easy way to remember the order that you need to do your mathematical calculations where there is more than one mathematical operator ( x / + – ). So you do them in the order of brackets, indices (or of for BODMAS), division, multiplication, addition, subtraction.
However, as mentioned above, you don’t need to think about brackets (or indices), but you do need to know that ‘division and multiplication is calculated before addition and subtraction’.
Like everything, it’s easy when you know how.
Once you know to multiply first, you do this part of the sum before the others. A great tip is to isolate the multiplication sum by putting brackets around it – it just makes it easier to see it. Using brackets in no way changes the mathematical answer.
So you go from the Question:
3 – 3 x 6 + 2 = ??
3 – (3 x 6) + 2 = ??
3 – 18 + 2
+5 – 18
Is This Too Tough?
The whole point of any practice question is to learn and it’s not about just getting it right!
OK, admittedly this one may be a little (not a lot, just a little) tricky and only because it’s entering into a negative number answer, but if the child was confident with their approach and knew they had to multiply first, this should not be a problem.
At the very least, hopefully this has provided a good discussion with the child and they are now assured that they should do the multiplication part first! 💕
AQE & GL Online Quizzes – Fun & Interactive
With over thirty quizzes in Maths and English, all done on mobile devices so they are fun and interactive, sign up today for The Transfer Tutor (Online Quizzes) and don’t miss the amazing Easter Sale with 20% Off All Licences (Ends 30th April).
The price is purposely low so that ALL parents can afford it. Simply click on the licence which refers to the duration of time that you will require it, so if you have one child, a current P6 child, the Penguin Licence would be perfect.
For a family with more that one child, for example, one in P6 and then another one in P5, the Cat Licence would be the best choice (expires Dec 2020). Or, if you have a child in P6 and another one in P4, it would be cost efficient (only £15 for each additional year) to purchase the Elephant Licence, which the P6 would use and then had over to the P4 child when they were at the age to pick up the reins and start their preparation for the test.
All of these are a one-off payment until they expire.
PENGUIN LICENCE –
Only £45 Easter Deal £36
(Expires December 2019)
CAT LICENCE –
Only £60 Easter Deal £48
(Expires December 2020)
ELEPHANT LICENCE –
Only £75 Easter Deal £60
(Expires December 2021)
What It’s All About?
Love it or hate it, The Transfer Test in Northern Ireland (AQE / GL) is going to be around for a while and if you want your child to go to the local grammar they will have to perform better than a good number of the other applicants to be offered a seat. The ethos of The Transfer Tutor is to provide a fun and interactive way to test the children through various quizzes in Maths & English, but also to ‘tutor’ them along the way – giving them hints to get the right answer and explaining the logic if they got it wrong. It works on all mobile devices and has even been reported as being addictive! 🙂
There is such a buzz at the moment and this is because The Transfer Tutor :
- Has a complete focus on the AQE & GL specification.
- Is mobile friendly working on smartphones and tablets which most children have access to.
- In many questions, there will be a ‘hint’ option that offers the child details on the ‘rule’ or aids them to complete it correctly which helps their future application of the same type of question.
- Has a function built in that the parents will be emailed with the child’s score when they have completed a test, so parents can track progress and also know the child is not off playing Minecraft or Candy Crush when they should be revising.
- Question areas broken down into specific categories which allows the parent and child to identify areas of weakness and to focus on these for improvement.
- Although tests will have more than 20 questions ‘behind the scenes’, the child is only faced with a random 20 questions each time so they can try the same test many times and will be getting different related challenges.
- Not just practice questions, but if the child gets it wrong, the system will provide information on the rule or reason as to why this is happened, so they can build on their fundamental learning for the next time.
- Leader board with the most recent 10 attempts listed (from all people) and this offers a level of competition that makes the child strive to be better.
- Child friendly with the use of colours and pictures which encourages the child to want to log on and try a new quiz every day.
So, to get going today with your son/daughter, click on the Buy Now button below to go through the setup process which should take you less than 1 minute.
Some Useful Links & Try It Out
To give you a feel for the quizzes, start the free quiz by clicking on the button below.
The quizzes have been a great success with parents and kids and has already received impressive 5* Facebook Reviews, and many Business Awards, so definitely worth checking out.